The Who / The Who-Quadrophenia
Track 2657 013-200G
$50.00 MSRP
Released November 28, 2007
Listed in Rock

After the worldwide success of Tommy, Pete Townshend’s decided to take a second stab at ’rock opera’ and 1973’s Quadrophenia was the result. Its premise is rooted in a teenage perspective in 1964-65, and the friction between ‘mods and rockers’ in the London and Bristol regions of the UK. The four-way split personality of the central figure ‘Jimmy’ has been admitted to by Townshend as also being based on the distinct personalities of the! four b and members. The legendary Glyn Johns’ production is both powerful and stunning with the writing and arrangements, featuring maybe the most tasteful use of both sound effects and synthesizers in rock recording, brilliant. Pianist Chris Stainton (Spooky Tooth) contributes strong support on such songs as The Real Me, The Punk Meets The Godfather, I’m One and Love Reign o’er Me, all classic Who performances. This LP reissue was mastered and cut from the original ¼” analog master tapes by Chris Bellman at Bernie Grundman Mastering using Classic’s “ALL TUBE” analog cutting system. Pressed on Classic’s 200g Super Vinyl Profile gives a slight edge to this reissue over the excellent original Track release. Gatefold artwork including tipped in 44 page booklet are given the usual Classic authenticity treatment down to the paper stock being original. For most Who fans this is the pinnacle of Who albums and is treated as such in all aspects of this reissue which is NOT to be missed!